Thursday, June 7, 2007

Self-confidence is worth way more than a pair of new toenail clippers

Let's see, I think we are still on Reason #4 of Why I Decided to Make a Movie.

In Fall '06, I was practicing hypnotherapy in addition to teaching high school. Surprisingly, most people don't go to hypnotherapy for losing weight, or smoking cessation, or for confident public speaking. Most of my patients came to me to explore their dreams, desires, and goals. They wanted a subconscious motivation boost. I called them "mental smoothies". I spent a lot of time infusing people with affirmative messages about their self-esteem, self-confidence, and identifying and pursuing their life dreams. If you deliver the same message over and over again, after awhile the message starts to sink into your own subconscious.

The seeds that were previously sown (but lying dormant) finally began to cultivate. It was time to pursue my own dreams!

5.) The impetus. (not to be confused with incubus)

Let's give credit where credit is due. I met Michael Keller through an online screenwriting site about six years ago. I had written "Defying Gravity" (initially titled just "Gravity") as a 30-page short. He was a senior at Brown University, and wanted to make the script for his senior project. I was more than thrilled. Every novice screenwriter dreams of seeing their words played out on screen, even if optioned for the grand total of $1.00. Michael revealed himself to be extraordinarily mature, perceptive, ambitious, talented, and brilliant.

For some reason that I can't remember, he ended up choosing another script for his senior project. However we stayed in touch through email, and met when he graduated and moved back to Los Angeles. I credit Michael for encouraging (almost haranguing) me to continue screenwriting, regardless of whatever turmoil was going on in my home life. In particular, he kept after me to expand "Gravity" to a full-length script. Even though I wrote several other screenplays in the meantime, I could never figure out how to get past the 30th page of "Gravity". What happens to Shore, Jorge, and Cass after they pull out of the cemetery in the shiny restored limousine?

It finally came to me last summer. I added the second and third acts, fleshed out the first, and felt pretty damned satisfied with my final product.

Now what? Back to Square One - whom could I possibly trust to do justice to this story and characters? This was my baby.

6.) In Fall '06 Michael was also giving birth to a baby of his own - his second, in fact - called 'Crackpot'. He wrote, directed, produced, edited, and starred in this little gem. We attended the screening at the Beverly Hills Digital Film Festival the day after Christmas. When I saw the quality of the finished product - it looked and sounded like a real (film) movie - I made up my mind instantly. If Michael could do 'Crackpot' on a $5,000 budget, surely I could do 'Gravity' for $15,000?

Famous last words.

No comments: