Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Previously, on Casting This Film ...


We had cast all our major roles with the exception of Shore. The future success of this film really depended on who we cast for this critical part. As I mentioned before, we needed someone dynamic and enigmatic - someone whom you could watch tying his shoe for twenty minutes simply because you couldn't take your eyes off of him. Not that we had a 20-minute shoe-tying scene. I'm just saying.

We were really in a quandry. None of the actors we had seen so far were thrilling us. One young man was a fantastic actor - but didn't quite look the part. He looked too wholesome. This was not his fault - it was just one of those things. We needed someone who had a bit of an edge. Not quite dangerous, but not someone you'd fix up with your sister.

As we were beating our heads against the wall, Michael (or maybe it was me) said, "Hey, we've seen Macauley read for Lola, why don't we ask him to come in and read for Shore?" Sheer genius. We got him in for a call-back the very next Saturday, and asked him to come in costume (i.e. homeless).


And in walked Shore, I mean Macauley. Macauley was a recent transplant to Hollywood from New Jersey. Like so many other talented young men and women, he came out here to make it in show business. And I really think he's going to be one of the 1% who makes it. His audition was perfection. He clomped around on the stage in these big black untied army boots, and nailed a performance that was both comedic and tragic.

I called him shortly thereafter to offer him the part. He must not have expected it. "Aw geez," he said. "I just took a job, and it's a really good job, and I have to work weekends."

"Oh," I said, hoping to impute into that syllable as much disappointment and guilt as possible. I was not about to tell him to screw the other job. If my movie didn't bring him fame and fortune, then I'd be the guilty one for telling him to quit his other job (which was leasing apartments).

Macauley's mind was churning around the possibilities also. Maybe his future was flashing before his eyes. Suddenly he blurted out, "Oh fuck it! Fuck that other job! This is what I came out here to do!"

YEAH!

Happy Ending: His other job let him take off seven consecutive weekends to do the film, so he got to have his cake and eat it too. Whoever you guys are, apartment people, THANK YOU!

No comments: